Friday, September 05, 2008

who am I and where is the real Laurie!?!?


So anyone that *knows* me.....know's my fear of spiders (and pretty much anything that has more then 2 legs.....{most} cats and dogs excluded!) so this will come as a HUGE suprise.......let me start from the begining.....Matty is sitting at the dinning room table and I'm on the couch, he's starting to tell me a story about a dream he had. I'm looking at him when my vision starts to focus on something behind him...something BIG.......my eyes got huge!! he whips around to see what I'm looking at.....it's this...
Orb-Weaving Spiders
Venom toxicity - the bite of Orb-Weaving Spiders is of low risk (not toxic) to humans. They are a non-aggressive group of spiders. Seldom bite. Be careful not to walk into their webs at night - the fright of this spider crawling over one's face can be terrifying and may cause a heart attack, particularly to the susceptible over 40 year olds.

Spider Identification - an adult is about 2/3 to more than 1 inch in body length - has a bulbous abdomen - often colorful - dark to light brown pattern. The common Golden Orb-Weaver Spider has a purplish bulbous abdomen with fine hairs.

Habitat - often found in summer in garden areas around the home - they spin a large circular web of 6 feet or more, often between buildings and shrubs, to snare flying insects, such as, flies and mosquitoes.
That's right....this DEADLY spider living outside of our big window. Do you need to go back and re-read the part I highlighted above!?!?
My first reaction was to call 911!! Ok not really but it's HUGE and I thought for sure I needed to call someone!! THEN while the boys and I were standing there not really knowing what to do a fly landed in his web (I say he becaue I named him Peter Parker) and just as fast as it landed in the web Peter ran as fast as his little 8 legs would carry him and started spinning it around!!! It was facinating!! we really couldn't take our eyes off it. I bet we watched him for an hour!! he also got a nother big bug but we couldnt figure out what kind it was. Mitchell thought it was a bee. So Brian got home later that night and we had to reenact the segment where we first saw it. He knew all about Peter and it seems he's been living all over the side of our house!?!? WHAT!!
So Peter is safe for now, until he either gets closer to the back door or OMG actually comes into contact with me.....then he'll be a giant splat!!!

7 comments:

Amanda said...

Whoa! You are so nicer than I am. Currently DH has a HUGE spider web on his car and I keep telling him to get rid of it.

I guess we can keep it so I don't have to decorate for Halloween ;)

TammyB said...

ROFLOL!! I can just picture the look on your face!

Jen said...

OMG! Tooo funny!

{S} said...

Omg!! I have memories of when we lived on a tomato farm in Woodland, CA. We had enormous spiders out there, enormous is an understatement, really. We had one outside our patio door that we'd watch in the evening, he'd sit in the corner of his web behind the light fixture, and when a bug flew into the web he'd sprint out spin it like crazy, repair the web and go back into the corner. It was exactly what you said, fascinating. However, I could be heard screaming often when they were too close for comfort. LOL!! The first encounter we had was the day we were moving in, I about died seeing one come down from the porch ceiling directly over Jake's head. He was 5 years old at the time, I still shudder at the vision of it. Our friend smacked the spider away with a baseball bat... it was that big. :~O UGH!!!

daiva e said...

LOL - I can just picture your reaction when you first saw that spider!! Actually, orb spiders are really good to have around. We've got one in our front bed and Matt and I look every morning to see if we can find where he spun his web for the night. They take down their webs every day and spin a new one each night.

Laurie said...

I should do a reinactment picture!! I'm sure my expression was priceless!!

I'm letting him be until he gets too close to the back door! then something's GOT to happen!! It's good to know he's good for us to have around, probably eats his weight in flys!!

Sashafras said...

Yikes! I hate spiders!! I'd probably sit there watching it because I was frozen with fear! lol My dh has to handle most of the spiders around here even though he doesn't like them either! hehe